Donate

Support us by donating :)




Ad

Ad

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Interview: Blood Of Angels


On 21st of April, Blood Of Angels will release their EP called Rise Of The Fallen Gods. DutchMetalManiac's Julia Obenauer already reviewed it here, but she also interviewed them. Read it below!

Hey guys! Thank you for doing this interview with DutchMetalManiac. Could you briefly introduce your band?

Aaron Robinson (guitar), Chris Iibucha (Vocals), Kevin Phillips (Drums), Michael Stewart (Bass)

You are a fairly new band, as you have formed only last year. How did you guys meet up?

After the demise of Foreshadow, I still had some music ideas that I wanted to do. First I contacted Andrew from Denied Til Death to do vocals for Blood of Angels. Through Andrew I spoke with Kevin (Denied Til Death drummer) and he was interested, and we started to rehearse together. Andrew wouldn’t be able to do the project, so I contacted a friend of mine whose boyfriend is a vocalist. He sent me a demo of an Amon Amarth track, and it sounded good. That’s when I brought Chris in the mix. Michael was my tour manager in the past, and we were talking about the project. He was on a break from Motograter. I was excited when he agreed to play bass on the EP.

I read that some of you guys are still active in other bands. Is that correct? In which bands are you playing?

Michael is in Neverbroken, and Kevin is still in Denied Til Death.

How do you manage to be active in two different bands?

I don’t demand a fulltime commitment from the other guys. We don’t do a lot of rehearsals together. Work out songs through mp3 trading. When we get together we are solid in our parts, and rehearsals are efficient. They do have time to be in other projects.

How did you come up with the band name?

It was through brainstorming many different names. Blood of Angels seemed fitting for the type of sound and style I write in.

Your music can be roughly categorized into extreme and death metal. What do you like about these genres?

I love the aggression, and the fact that it is outsider music for outsider people. I also love the free individual expression within the genres.

You will release your first EP, called “Rise Of The Fallen Gods”, on 21st of April. I really loved it when listening to it, were other reactions as positive?

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the tracks. The reviews have been really positive so far.

How did you experience the album production process? How did you approach the songwriting and the recording?
I had the songs completed musically, then I rehearsed them with Kevin. I also passed on the rough guitar tracks to Chris and talked to him about the subject and where I wanted to go with the lyrics. After he came up with the rough draft, we edited them to work with the music. Last I brought in Michael to work on the bass parts. We rough tracked the drums in a separate studio from Matt Johnson productions. I sent Matt the drum tracks, and he did the editing and quantizing. After that was completed Michael and I laid down the guitar and bass tracks. Then we did a separate session for vocals.

How long did it take it to get the whole album done?

It took about five months to get everything done.

The lyrics are based on Norse mythology, something that might not be immediately associated with a band from Florida… Why did you choose this topic? Where does your interest in this particular mythology come from?

You're right, it isn’t a normal subject. My interest in Norse mythology comes from my grandfather’s family. The original plan was to do a full-length album that not only covered Norse mythology, but also Greek mythology and Roman mythology. We made the decision to leave as a EP for a couple of reasons. We really wanted to get our music out there. I want to move on to different subject. Management wanted to get something out there. To finish the full-length would take another year.

Any other topics which you are particularly interested in?

History, art, I go to theater a lot. I love the art of film making. I find a lot of inspiration from various genres of films. I am also a huge Star Wars fan. I am looking forward to going to Star Wars celebration in a couple of weeks.

Which bands inspire you as individual musicians or as a band, and why?

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Cradle of Filth, and many others. I am really into the Scandinavian black metal and melodic death metal bands. They seem to blend melody and aggression beautifully.

Can we anticipate on a full album soon? Any plans in that direction?

That is next in the plans. I am finishing up the songs now. We plan on being back in the studio by the end of the year.

Do you plan a supporting tour for this album? Where can we see you?

Not for this EP. I want to get back to the studio to get the next album out. After it is released we plan on doing festival dates.

Is there anything you would like to say to our readers?

I want to thank them for taking the time to listen to our music, and your support. We look forward to be on the road in the future and meet all of you. You can keep in touch with us through our website, or on Facebook.

Blood Of Angels Official Website
Blood Of Angels Facebook
Blood Of Angels Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment