Donate

Support us by donating :)




Sunday, July 10, 2016

Review: Sludgehammer - The Fallen Sun


I must say, I expected a totally different style from this band (duh, sludge), but I was surprised by some death ’n roll! Sludge hammer has produced the album “The Fallen Sun” for us to listen. I did, and I must say I liked it fairly well. It is a very diverse record with lots of elements for everyone to enjoy.

I was introduced to the band by their new video for ‘Demons from the Woodwork’. It shows remarkable skill from all players involved in the band. I also hear like 3 or 4 kinds of different vocals; this is something pretty unique. Nice, raw rock and roll shouting and to top the cake off, some gnarly death growls. It makes for a surprisingly good combination. The second track called ‘Intestines Entwined’ is a good example of how this band can vary in their style of playing. It goes from straight up AC/DC to some great thrash metal riffing. When you hear the next song it starts off with a piano playing!

That is what I mean, don’t be afraid to mash up styles and be unique because this is what this band did and I think it definitely payed off for them. The only remark I can make is that it sometimes sounds too happy. With a title like “the Fallen Sun” you expect an apocalyptic epos with some really, really distorted guitars, not a rock and roll sound.

So, to summarize things, this is definitely a great record for the people who want to try something new, that are bored by listening to the same bands over and over. This is your chance on a unique blend of death metal and rock and roll. Although I’d change the band’s name, because of stylistic interferences with the style they play.

I hope to see them playing some festivals and just doing their thing for the years to come. Also important will be that people find out about this band. It is a truly unheard of kind of band.

8.5/10

Written by Joost van der Leij

Sludgehammer Facebook
Sludgehammer Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment