Donate

Support us by donating :)




Ad

Ad

Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: Annihilationmancer - Precursor Of Destruction

Annihilationmancer! A band I have never heard of before. And that’s a shame really. The thing I was wondering at first was why the hell would you call your band Annihilationmancer? It’s also kind of a pain in the ass for the dude who designed their logo. That’s why it came out “not so thrash metal”. I’m sorry I had to point this out before I started talking busin… uhm music.

After releasing a few demo’s in the late 90’s and after that a 10 year silence. In 2009 Annihilationmancer released their 3rd demo named simply “promo 2009”. From that point I guess they started taking their band seriously. In 2011 they released their first full-length album called “Involution Philosophy” and now in 2016 they release a new EP called “Precursor Of Destruction.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this EP. They take the elements of 80’s thrash and make their own twist to it. Sometimes their song structure is more proggy and sometimes it takes even death metal turns here and there. In the first two songs I was really surprised with how their song writing skills are. It’s not riff after riff after riff and so on. There are some really clever turns left and right in their music. I also really liked the way how Annihilationmancer approaches the guitar solo’s. Usually they drop into a slower beat with a hollow atmosphere so the very clean guitar sound stands out on it’s on while performing sweeping madness.

The thing I could not appreciate were the vocals. From second one into the vocals I instantly thought ‘wow, this is a really good James Hetfield immitator’ He sounds so much like the “ride the lightning/…and justice for all” Hetfield. It just annoying me the rest of the EP. I don’t mean to approach this negatively but for “non-Metallica” fans this is not an EP for them. You can’t get around the vocals that easily because they support the music very well. It has been cleverly incorporated to serve the music, not the other way around.

Like I said. The music sounds great in a certain degree because it’s a fresh take on modern and old school thrash metal. I give my compliments on songwriting and creativity. But, beware. Thrash metal fans who do not give a rats ass about Metallica will definitely not enjoy this album solely based on vocal performance. There is no way to just not hear the vocals and connect the James Hetfield thought to it.

I would like for more people to hear about this band and give their own opinion on it. I must say I enjoyed listening. It is definitely not a waste of time and I will definitely look out for a new full-length album by Annihilationmancer!

7/10

Written by Joost van der Leij

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment