Donate

Support us by donating :)




Ad

Ad

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Review: Villainy - II: Dim


Villainy is a band from Limburg in the Netherlands. Their first album, Villainy I, came out in 2013. After a demo compilation in 2014 it is time for the new album: Villainy II: Dim.

The first thing that came to my mind, after listening to the new Villainy album for the 3rd time, was: “how the hell am I going to review this?” I can’t even begin to describe what kind of music (metal) they are playing. I’ll give a try anyway; psychedelic, avant garde, thrash with a small taste of black metal. And that still doesn’t cover it! The new album is all about atmosphere, freaky disharmonic guitar chords and vage old school thrash eruptions. The psychedelic parts of the album remind me of the classic rock bands of the seventies and of the great Ennio Morricone. Some parts remind me a bit of the band Tribulation, I think it is because of the seventies feel combined with black metal. But do not think these bands are anyting alike! It is also an album that has to grow on you. It’s getting better every time you hear it, and it is not an album that suits every listener. My guess is that you either love it or hate it. Villainy is a very talented power trio, that has the ability to write great compositions. Just listen to the “The View from my Ivory Tower” or “Jewel”. And I love the guitar solo on the last instrumental track: “Herschapen.” They take a musical road less travelled, and it is a strange but beautiful ride. I dare you to ride it!!

8,0 points

Record Label: Listenable Records

Release Date: 29-01-2016

Written by Remco Kreft

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment