Donate

Support us by donating :)




Thursday, February 4, 2016

Live review: Suicidal Tendencies, Milkman, 2 February 2016, 013, Tilburg, The Netherlands

It was finally there. February 2nd. I have been looking forward to this concert for weeks. Suicidal is coming to town! I went with a couple of friends and our plan was to go in style so we took our skateboards and went to the local skate park only to find out Tuesday is the only day they are closed. That was a bummer but nothing could stop our excitement. This way we luckily still got to see the band ‘Milkman’.

Milkman are a Dutch hardcore group we all had never heard of before. That was also the reason we thought, “well, we can skip that band and go skate”. Never have I been so wrong in my life. Very well executed hardcore with fast riffs and fast vocals that I did not expect from the singer beforehand. The guy looked like your average bald guy. I remember coming through the doors and he was yelling his words and I felt my aggression growing. After Milkman we had to wait for half an hour for Suicidal Tendencies and my heart was pounding like crazy because this was the very first time I was going to see the soundtrack of skateboarding, that band that is always playing!

When they finally started the drummer Eric Moore came on stage and started screaming in his microphone for the crowd to mosh and move around the venue. Well it worked! When cyco Mike came on stage the crowd went total apeshit and started moshing with the very first song and they never stopped until the end. Suicidal were at the top of their game. The moshing was more intense than a mosh pit at a Slayer concert.

While playing their all-star set list with songs like ‘how will I laugh tomorrow’ ‘cyco vision’ and ‘pledge your allegiance’ everybody was shouting along. Including me. Everybody was having the time of his or her lives and it was an amazing show to see.

I really have to give all the credits to Suicidal for pumping up the audience. The stage presence of Mike Muir was unattainable. Also Nico Santora, one of the guitar players was going crazy on stage while remaining so incredibly tight in his style of playing.

After the concert Mike Muir stepped down from the stage and gave every person in the building the chance to take a picture with him. He is such a nice guy. Had patience for everyone. A very respectable, humble man. Not only Mike though. After the show I went to the merchandise booth to look around (they have an incredible amount of t-shirts and other merchandise) and I found guitar player Nico Santora. We had a chat for a while and he gave me a guitar pick of his. Not many bands to this day are kind enough to take time for their fans and have a conversation even if it only lasts a couple of minutes.

My respect for Suicidal Tendencies has grown even more. For me they are the ultimate band to skate to and they represent not only a song on stage but they represent a lifestyle that makes sense to everybody in the venue. Suicidal Tendencies blew my mind with incredible stage presence and tight playing. I would never hesitate to go see them again because it is worth every single penny.

Pure respect.

Written by Joost van der Leij

Official website Suicidal Tendencies
Facebook Suicidal Tendencies
Twitter Suicidal Tendencies
Official website Milkman

No comments:

Post a Comment