Donate

Support us by donating :)




Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Review: Abbath - Abbath


It is with great pleasure I announce that the master of black metal riffing is back.

When Abbath left Immortal i must say i was a little disappointed because I was hoping for a new Immortal album for a long time. Luckily, shorty after his departure he announced his new band named Abbath. He forged his black metal master class with none other than King from this little band called Gorgoroth. Arguably the most controversial band on the planet to date. The other member of Abbath remained unknown up until his departure mid December. There were a lot of speculations going on of who it might be. Turned out to be Kevin Foley and not Baard Koldstad. Who’s drumming skills would have made the super group complete for a lot of people.

Well! I can honestly say, every single member of the band did an amazing job on this album with nothing but highlights all over the disc. Abbath has this signature voice that only fits his music.

With 9 tracks on the Abbath album I could not find a bad song. That is why I point out my personal highlights on this one. The first track of the album “To War!” had me in its grip from the very first second. Mostly because I thought “hell yeah, Abbath is back”. The other reason for this is because of the production of the music. The guitar tone is so amazing. You can hear from the very first riff that it is Abbath that is playing. It’s a very distinctive style of playing that I only ever heard him do. The producer did a great job on this one. It’s clearly black metal of the highest standards. A lot of people are going to hate it because it was not recorded with a potato. I think the music stands out more individually when it is clearly produced and mixed by a professional.

The second track and the rest of the album are pure ecstasy and adrenaline. Abbath is known for mixing black metal with rock & roll and that displays very good on the song structures. It’s a fresh approach to a genre that has been written 500 times over and over again.

Another highlight is the song called “Root Of The Mountain”. A relatively slow paced song that can be seen as the ‘ballad’ of this album. Abbath’s voice really comes to its right here. And the drums and guitar are very clear. You can here every note he plays.

I know it is just the 20th of January but this is already a serious contender for album of the year for me. This album also made me very curious about what his former band mates will produce with Immortal with another vocalist/guitar player. It will not be the same, I’m sure of that.

I rate the album with a perfect 10. I have never seen a comeback of this caliber. Music that is so good after a long time of absence has rarely been seen. The whole black metal scene should hear this album and get their head out of the burning churches and start being like Abbath.

The man, the myth, the legend has returned and left us with a great piece of music that is going to be stuck in your player or playlist for a good long while!

Written by Joost van der Leij

Official website
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment