Donate

Support us by donating :)




Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Review: Sanzu - Heavy Over The Home


After the release of their EP ‘Painless’ the expectations were high for Sanzu.

I have anticipated this album for a long time. I had already listened to ‘Painless’ a couple of times because I didn’t believe the hype over this band.

Now ‘Heavy Over The Home’ has been released and it is a full on smash in the face blast. Everything you have hoped for is in this album and while they are a relatively young band they outdid their selves.

‘Heavy over the home’ has a lot of similarities to other bands. I heard a lot of influences on this album comparable to the likes of Gojira, Meshuggah and even a bit Morbid Angel! The first named band, Gojira, is the most recognisable.

The tremolo picking and string scraping is so similar to Gojira because not a lot of bands use it.

I feel like the Australian metal scene is the future right now. There is so much good music to find in that continent and they just keep on coming. Sanzu is a perfect example and could easily go on tour with Decapitated or a similar band. They are not yet big enough to headline their own shows but watch Sanzu closely for a few years and they will gain the attention they deserve.

My highlights from ‘Heavy Over The Home’ are the pounding songs, the real heavy hitters. A good example to get into the album is to just go to YouTube and click on the video for ‘Ubiety’. It is a simple video with the lyrics for the song. The drum patterns are not very difficult to master and it sounds like a simple song but it will hit you in the face hard. The vocals in this song are a good summary for the whole album. Everything is in ‘Ubiety’. A very catchy guitar line kicks in and it is going to be stuck in your head for a while.

Other notable songs are ‘Tailor’ and ‘Phenomena’. Especially ‘Tailor’ is a great song. It has a lot of diversity and complex rhythm switches. Around three minutes a riff kicks in that will make you want to bang your head so hard you could break a table.

Overall Sanzu is just like Gojira. These bands are what I call ‘the future of death metal’. So when you find yourself in the position when you listened to all of the Gojira albums and you think, damn, I need something new but just like Gojira. Listen to Sanzu. They will not disappoint.

To summarize my review I will close with a rating. I think Sanzu made a great album and is easily going to be in my top 10 of 2015 but they do not catch points on originality. They are not copying Gojira but sound so similar it is unmistakable.

Note that my previous point is the only one they did not get.

It is a 9/10 for me. For the sheer brutality and perfectly executed future form of death metal. Sanzu is the surprise of 2015 and I promise you will hear more from this band. They are too good to let slide!

Written by Joost van der Leij

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment