Donate

Support us by donating :)




Monday, December 7, 2015

Review: Malrun - Oblivion Awaits


Malrun is a band from Denmark which excels in a fairly modern metal streams. They play a mix of groove/metalcore kind of metal, I can't really pinpoint what is more prevalent. The interesting thing about this band is that the genre they play suits the band very well. After listening the album I had to re-listen it to fully grasp what it brings to the table. I do not bode well in the groove/metalcore genres, but this was a shocker to me, as I heard both the groove and the metalcore influences in the songs.

The first thing I noticed is that the songs don't have the typical metalcore composition that pretty much anyone who listens to metal knows. It has the polyrythmics breakdown-ish elements from the metalcore but it still retains the groove elements in it, the clean singing and the vocals driving the tempo and rhythm of the songs.

Quality of the mix is top notch, nothing is prevalent in the album, no instrument so much louder that you can't hear the rest of the band, both types of vocals are also mixed great.

The issue that got on my nerves a few times is the changing of the vocals from growls to clean and vice versa. It sometimes takes away the part of the song, but it is creative freedom of the artist.

All in all, having never heard of this band, I was amazed how a combination of two genres can actually sound really good and set a rule dare I say to the rest of the modern metal bands.

Written by Nikola Milošević

Official website
Facebook
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment