Donate

Support us by donating :)




Friday, November 6, 2015

Review: Warhawk - Down In Hell

Well technically this is not a album review since this is a demo, but none the less it can be considered a album. Warhawk is a Italian speed/heavy metal band from Venetia formed in 2014 for anyone not knowing about this band including me. After 40 years of heavy metal you and I both think there is not much that can be added to the genre since speed/heavy metal as a subgenre is not that popular today. Warhawk kind of falls in that category, you expect a classic heavy metal combined with speed metal and you get that, don't get me wrong, but it has a unique twist on it.

First of all the quality of the songs is not the best, but considering this is a demo recording it is forgiven as far as I am concerned. It is a bit raw, but it gives it that twist I was talking about. The some worth "muddy" feel the songs have is just the thing you need to make this sound a bit unique. I am not saying that the band needs to make the album perfect or leave it like this, just when they do a remix of this I would like to hear some of the gritty and dirty tones to remain in. The guitar tones are classical for heavy metal, very Iron Maiden sounding clear and sometimes lacking a bit of more aggression and distortion to it. The drums are a little muddy sometimes and not in the good way muddy, but that can also be written off by the fact that this is a demo. Other than that the instrumentation is great, the song structures are great and the transitions are good.

The thing that bothers me the most are the vocals. Typical for speed/heavy metal they are overtly high and again very Iron Maiden sounding. But although the vocals are typical for this kind of metal the issue is that sometimes the highness of the vocals does not match the rest of the instruments and sounds like it is off key and off time, and it is a recurring thing. Other than that I don't have complaints.

These guys are great and a young band, so I think that there are great things for them in the future and I am looking forward to hearing the album.

Written by Nikola Milošević

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment