Donate

Support us by donating :)




Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Review: Serpent Warning - Serpent Warning

Serpent Warning is:
Jussi Kotilainen – Bass
Kristian Lindberg – Drums
Antti Koponen – Guitars
Samuli Pesonen – Vocals

Let’s introduce Serpent Warning! Serpent Warning is a little-known doom metal band from Finland. They released their self-titled album in 2014.
The album starts with an actually little boring song. The vocals are of pretty good quality, there’s nothing wrong with the instruments, the drums are okay, yet they play the same rhythm the whole song! Furthermore, nothing special in the first song. Only a guitar solo at the end, but even that didn’t make me change my opinion. That amazed me, because in my opinion, an album needs a good start. And that just didn’t happen with this one.
When the second song, ‘Beyond the Wisdom’ starts, they immediately draw my attention again. Cool riffs after the intro, a voice that sounds like someone who is standing in front of you, telling a story. The vocals are getting a little less doom, and a little more heavy metal. Too bad that didn’t last long.

Point is, the vocals are good, the guitars are not innovative (except for the short solo’s), yet the drums are really making this album a bit boring. They keep on playing the same rhythm for a whole song.

After these first two songs, I actually get bored. And that’s the whole point. It’s not bad, but also not new, not innovating, no special things. It’s perfect for people who really love doom metal, but for people who are new to the doom-genre, don’t start with this band.

I know that doom metal is repetitive, yet this album is just too much…

When I listen further, I only realize more that I was right. This band is just not special. Serpent Warning actually disappoints me, except for the (short) solo’s and the vocals, they kept grabbing my attention.

Written by Daan van Doorn

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment